Wednesday, February 16, 2005

Words from mom

Today started out very well. Andrew was responding to the medications and improving even faster than the doctors had anticipated. Around noon, after much consultation, they decided he was ready for a regular ventilator. He was on the lowest settings on the oscillating ventilator and they felt he was ready for the next big step. We were all for it, because it would mean we could hold him and he could start receiving breast milk instead of an IV, basically we could start becoming more involved in his care. Also, the oscillating ventilator doesn't really allow lung tissue to develop normally because the lungs are always under positive pressure, while normal breathing uses negative pressure.

For the first hour things seemed to go very well. He was even breathing on his own occasionally. Then his stats started dropping, and when they switched to manual (bagging) breathing his lungs started bleeding. It went downhill from there. The doctors tried their best, using as many (if not more) medications than they did after his surgery, but his oxygen remained low. An x-ray showed that he had lost function in his left lung (the same one that had collapsed shortly after he was born). The doctors tried to compensate by making his heart work harder (it was in excellent shape thanks to Dr. Fox's wonderful repair job), but it just wasn't enough. His oxygen levels were down in the mid-30s, and although he stabilized long enough for family and our parish priest to arrive, after a five hour struggle he let go.

I appreciate all of the care and dedication that the doctors and nurses showed during the course of Andrew's care, he couldn't have been in better hands. I also thank all of you for your prayers. Although the outcome was not as we hoped, I know your prayers were not in vain. We were able to spend a wonderful week with our son, and I will treasure the memory of looking into his eyes and holding his hand. We love you Andrew, and we will miss you.

46 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We love you. We cry with you.
We will keep praying for you. Melanie

 
At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I wish you all my best.
Laura Olson

 
At 8:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Words can not express our sadness. You all are in our thoughts.

Julie, Doug and Wendy

 
At 9:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May the Lord Jesus put his loving arms around you in your time of loss. We love you. Kim Hoover

 
At 9:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry Andrew didn't make it through. I know it's been a long haul but we are comforted to know Andrew is in a better place now. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.
Suzan

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are all in our hearts and thoughts, and we grieve with you.

Ray Harris

 
At 10:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Teresa, Doug, and Lucas,

Heaven is a sweeter place with Baby Andrew there. Pray for us Andrew, we'll see you when we get there.

All our love to you.

Debbie Hausmann

 
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have no words for such a heartbreaking event; may God ease your sorrow.

-- Will Price

 
At 10:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with you and Baby Andrew. May God bless you with strength at this difficult time.

 
At 11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Therea, Doug & Lucas:
I can only say that my prayers are with you. Erin called last week with the news of Andrew's arrival and surgery. My heart aches for you and your family-and there aren't any words that make sense or ease the pain. Hold each other close and remember that those beautiful eyes of Andrew's are watchin over all of you--your personal guardian angel. Erin's mom.

 
At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teresa, Doug, and Lucas,

Hugs to you all. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Heaven is a better place.

-Amy Barr

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your heartbreak.
May the Lord hold you in his arms and comfort you all in this time of sorrow. Maria

 
At 11:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug and Teresa, I'm so sorry. My deepest sympathies to you both and to Lucas as well.

 
At 12:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug, Teresa and Lucas, I can't even begin to imagine how you feel. All I can offer you is my prayers and say that Andrew is in a better place. I can only hope that my words offer you an infintesimle amount of comfort in your time of strife. May God Bless you all.

Manny

 
At 12:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry for the loss of Andrew. I don't even have the words.
My prayers are with you all, and with Andrew in heaven.

 
At 12:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so very sorry for the loss of Andrew. I don't even have the words.
My prayers are with you all, and with Andrew in heaven.
-Jonathan

 
At 2:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Language is completely insufficient. But my love--and everyone's love--is here to do what it can. Take care of one another in the coming days and months. You're in the hearts and minds of everyone who knows you.

Love, love, love, love, love,

Mark

 
At 6:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. My prayers are with you.

Carly

 
At 7:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Teresa, Doug and Lucas,

Our hearts ache with you at this heartbreaking turn. Know that you are and will be in our thoughts and prayers. May God give you strength to help you through this difficult time.

All our love,
Al and Eric

 
At 7:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Julia and I wish you the very best. All of you have been in our prayers. Andrew no longer needs them (indeed, right now he is praying for YOU, that you might be able to make it through this), but we will continue to pray for you.

-Andy Putman

 
At 7:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theresa, Doug, Jackie, Steve, Lucas,

Dear Andrew has touched the hearts and minds of all of us who have followed his short life. I know he was sent here to teach us all to love more deeply. My heart felt sympathy for your loss.

Sincerely,
Nancy Burns

 
At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry. May God comfort you as no one else can.
Beth Grant (Melanie's friend from VA)

 
At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not know you, but I have been praying for you and your son. It is very hard to accept or know the will of God. My youngest son died 4 hours after his birth. I am grateful for every second that God allowed me to have with him. He is safer and loved unconditonally with God; wrapped in the warmth of the Father's Love.
Your loss and grief will be with you; God will send you what you need to heal and through the Holy Spirit he will heal. Baby Andrew will always live with you and in you.
In closing, take comfort in the Lord and allow yourself to grieve as our Lord grieves with you and feels your pain.
I will continue to pray for you and your family as well as Andrew.
May Our Lord and Savior Bless you and keep you close to his Sacred Heart pouring out his love to ease your sorrow.

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Doug, Teresa, and Lucas,
I'm so sorry for your loss. You are all in my thoughts and prayers.
-Terri

 
At 9:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can only imagine what it will be like, when I walk by Your side...
I can only imagine, what my eyes will see, when Your Face is before me! I can only imagine. I can only imagine. Words by Mercy Me.

I pray that peace fills Doug and Teresa knowing that Andrew is in the palm of His hand.
Tom Schnell

 
At 11:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug and Family

You both have shown tremendous strength during a time most could never imagine.

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Richard

---------------------

Andrew still lives,his life shall never cease.

For His Kingdom belongs to little ones such as these.

He now dances with angels, he is filled with joy.

Gods beautiful creation, your precious baby boy.

So be still , and be at peace, for it is only us that mourn.

Andrew now touches the face of God, he has been reborn.

------------------------------
Adapted from a poem written by Thaddeus Mart

 
At 1:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug and Teresa and Lucas,

I'm so sorry to hear this. I can't even imagine how you're feeling, but I know God has you in His hands; he always has. I love you very much, and if there's anything we can do, let us know.

Laura Wakin

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My heart and love goes out to your family at this time of mourning. I know that the time you had with Andrew was very special. Cherish it, lock it in your heart for Andrew was truly a gift from God.
My prayers are with you.

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but a friend has sent this on to me. I have been keeping tract of the progress of Andrew. Andrew is in much better hands now. He no longer has any tubes down his throat or in his veins. He is totally free to roam where he wants to. I know he is watching you and helping you through this loss. He will always be in your hearts.

I am so sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you always.

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Most Merciful Jesus, You Yourself have said, 'Learn from Me for I am meek and humble of heart.' Receive into the abode of Your Most Compassionate Heart all meek and humble souls and the souls of little children. These souls send all heaven into ecstasy, and they are the heavenly Father's favorites. They are a sweet-smelling bouquet before the throne of God; God Himself takes delight in their fragrance. These souls have a permanent abode in Your Most Compassionate Heart, O Jesus, and they unceasingly sing out a hymn of love and mercy. Eternal Father, turn Your merciful gaze upon meek and humble souls, and upon the souls of little children, who are enfolded in the abode of the Most Compassionate Heart of Jesus. These souls bear the closest resemblance to Your Son. Their fragrance rises from the earth and reaches Your very throne. Father of mercy and of all goodness, I beg You by the love You bear these souls and by the delight you take in them: bless the whole world, that all souls together may sing out the praises of Your mercy for endless ages.

I am doing all I know to do besides cry for you, and that is pray.

 
At 2:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teresa and Doug,

I am so sorry. You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers.

I want to thank you for sharing Andrew's short, much-loved life in this beautiful chronicle. Your devotion as parents, as husband and wife and in your faith has been an inspiration to me this past week.

Laura (Mize) Kasemervisz

 
At 4:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We are so sorry. Our prayers are with all of you. May you find some peace knowing that our Blessed Mother will take good care of Andrew until you are reunited.

Sharon and Adam G.

 
At 5:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teresa and Doug,

I am so sorry for your loss. You remain in my prayers.

I am grateful to have been able to share in Andrew's short life, and now for the grace of my Godson praying for all of us. May the Lord comfort you through the prayers of all the saints, including your precious son.

James

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Maria Berke

 
At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug and Theresa,
Thank you for your openness in sharing your joys and sorrows. I share them with you and continue to pray that God comfort you and bring you the joy that surpasses all understanding. Someone in this posting group said that heaven is a sweeter place because baby Andrew is there. How true that is!
Love,
Maggie

 
At 8:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teresa, Doug and Lucas, I'm so sorry. Thank you for sharing with us all the precious time you had with Andrew. I have no words. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Love,
Ben

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teresa and Doug,

Mark and I are so sorry for your loss. Please accept our heartfelt sympathies.

With love,
Joanna and Mark

 
At 10:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I don't know you, your family has touched my heart. I've been praying for Andrew daily and was very sad to come home today and read of his passing. I have no doubt he'll be watching over his big brother and mom & dad from above. May you find comfort and strength in God's love. I will keep you and your loved ones in my prayers.
tish

 
At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug, Teresa, & Lucas,
We are so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your short time with Andrew with us. Both God and Andrew are watching over you now. You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Love, Erin & Aaron

 
At 12:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug and Teresa, I can't do much except offer you a big huge hug all the way from Chicago. I know Andrew is up in Heaven, and he's playing a saxophone.

Love,
Chip

 
At 8:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our best wishes go to you both. God be with you and your family -- for what it's worth, we will be!

-Britton and Liz

 
At 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug, Teresa, and Lucas:

I am so sorry for your loss. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. May God bless you all.

-- Chuck Kuffner

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teresa and Doug -
If only our tears could diminish yours...
You're in our thoughts and prayers.

--Grungy

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been praying for you and your family. Words just aren't sufficient at a time like this so I pray that you will be comforted by God during this difficult time and know that many are thinking of you (even those whom you don't even know).

May god comfort you.
The Mann Family
Chesapeake VA

 
At 7:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Teresa, Doug, and Lucas,
I am so sorry for your loss. God Bless you all.
Gina

 
At 8:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

May God's miraculous love
continue to heal and somehow
make all things new in your
hearts and lives.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home